You’ve Been Accused of Operating a Pill Mill in Texas – What Now?
In Texas, as in many other states, state and federal law enforcement have been grappling with the national opioid epidemic.Read More
For some time people have begun to seriously question whether President Trump’s Administration has characteristics that resemble those of a fascist government. In 1995, Italian Writer Umberto Eco, penned a know well-regarded essay on fascism. Eco identified 14 basic characteristics of fascism.
The Greatest Generation fought and defeated the fascists. We owe it to these brave Americans to make certain that Fascism never finds comfort on our shores.
Unfortunately, within Trump’s Administration we find many of the 14 characteristics Eco identified with fascism.
1. Trump’s mantra is that he will Make America Great Again. He claims that he alone will restore our true heritage. Such claims are common in fascist systems.
2. Trump rejects science and global warming. Fascism commonly rejects modernism.
3. Trump daily attacks the free press and any who question him. The free press is critical to our Democracy. Condemnation of critical thinking is a common characteristic of fascism.
4. Trump began his campaign by attacking illegal aliens. He claimed he would build a wall. He persists in attacking Moslems. Condemnation of “outside groups” is a critical component of fascism.
5. Trump blames the problems of the middle class on “outsiders”; this is also common in fascist systems.
6. Trump claims that there is a “Deep State” plot against him. He claims the Russia investigation is baseless and Mueller cannot be trusted. False claims of a baseless plot against the leader are common in fascism.
7. Trump’s Presidency has been marred by chaos. From day to day we don’t know what he will do or say. Maintaining a constant state of agitation is a characteristic of a fascist system.
8. Trump doesn’t seek to protect the weak; he Attacks the weakest among us. Attacking the weak is common in fascism.
9. Trump heaps praise on his supporters. He asserts that his base are better Americans by virtue of the fact they blindly follow him. In fascism, the leaders followers are commonly held up as superior patriots.
10. Trump has shown a disrespect for women from the beginning. The Woman’s March was in direct response to Trump’s endless barrage of attacks on women. Most recently he supported Roy Moore after Moore was accused of sexual assaults. Disdain for women and gay people Is common in fascism.
11. Unlike any President in history, Trump communicates about the most critical matters by tweet. His message is dumbed down into slogans and name calling. During the election it was “Lock her Up”. He had a schoolyard nickname for ever opponent. Now he uses the term “Rocket Man” to taunt our nuclear adversary.
Fascism is characterized by slogans and An impoverished vocabulary.
12. Trump is demonstrably a pathological liar . His subordinates repeat and bolster his most outlandish lies. Repetition of outrageous lies is a fundamental and necessary trait of any fascist system.
13. Trump attacks his adversaries, like the press as simultaneously having too much power and having no power. His contempt for the press involves attacking the press as being too strong and too weak. Fascism is characterized by constant attacks on an enemy. The enemy is described as both strong and weak depending on the rhetorical needs of the moment.
14. Trump stirs up hate-mongers in his base through tweets and at rallies. He then points to the riled mob as reflective of middle America. Selective Populism , Claiming that a select group’s manufactured response, represents the will of the people is false and common in fascism.
The Republican label has been coopted by Trump’s neo Fascism. This is why many Self – identified, long time Republicans, do not recognize their party. All Americans must guard against the rising tide of fascism in this country.
We must never be afraid to speak out against the fascism that now threatens us.
The client believed to be facing potential Wire Fraud Charges related to SBA PPP loan applications. Investigation of applications for PPP loans and PPP forgiveness demonstrated that the Client had at all times acted in a lawful manner. Investigation demonstrated no fraud was committed by the client. Case closed.
Client was charged by Federal Indictment with making a social media post that threatened Malicious Damage and Destruction of a Building by Means of Fire and Explosives in violation of Federal law. The Defense showed that Client was a law-abiding citizen. The Defense further showed that the alleged threat was not made with any criminal intent.
The client, a public official with a long history of public service, was accused by a former girlfriend of engaging in non-consensual sexual relations. The Defense investigation and analysis showed through a detailed timeline that the allegation made absolutely no sense. Phone records, including calls and texts, were relied on to help establish an accurate timeline. The Defense met with law enforcement and reviewed a detailed package that exonerated the accused.
Client, a Houston area professional who frequently travels for work, was accused by his wife of assaulting her in his family home. Defense showed that wife’s story lacked credibility and there was no physical evidence in support of the wife’s allegation.
The client, a young Black male, was driving his car when police pulled him over for no apparent reason. It looked to be a profile stop. The client was accused of possessing a controlled substance in his vehicle. The Defense showed that there was no lawful basis for the police to stop the Client’s car. The Defense also showed that there was no lawful basis for the search of the Client’s car. It was a bad search, so the seized evidence was not admissible.
Client charged in Federal Indictment In “Operation Wrecking Ball” with 55 named co-defendants. Client faced seven charges. Client was charged with Conspiracy to Distribute Cocaine and Conspiracy to Engage in Money Laundering. Client was also charged with four counts of Distribution of Cocaine and one count of Money laundering.
Allegations involved client’s alleged use of his home to distribute cocaine. Government’s lengthy investigation involved numerous wiretaps, surveillance, video, pole cams, search warrants, vehicle stops and use of cooperating co-defendants.
Client went to trial with four remaining defendants. After a two-week trial, Judge granted Motion for Acquittal on four of the seven charges. Jury found Client Not Guilty of remaining three charges.
Client charged in Federal Court with two counts of Wire Fraud related to Five SBA EIDL loan applications. The Government alleged the client, a Houston professional, defrauded the Small Business Administration out of over $150,000. The Government also found the intended loss was over half a million dollars. The Client faced up to 20 years in prison on each count. The Defense investigated the case and negotiated a deal that included the Government not opposing a probation. The Federal Guideline calculation was for a prison sentence and the Probation Department recommended a prison sentence. Attorney Fickman submitted a 90 page Defense Sentencing Memorandum asking for Probation.
Client was retired professional. Client was accused of being involved in a road rage incident in 1960 Area. Defense put together a 100 page memorandum that demonstrated complainant was actual aggressor.
Client was accused of touching child. Case involved thousands of pages of psychiatric and Child Protective Services records as well as investigations by multiple police departments. After three- year fight, case dismissed.
Client accused of shoving and knocking down family member causing injury. After investigation, charges were dismissed.
In Texas, as in many other states, state and federal law enforcement have been grappling with the national opioid epidemic. This has led to increased scrutiny and stricter regulations surrounding the prescription and distribution of controlled substances. In recent years, …
Texas State law makes it a crime to make a false alarm or false report.What is Against the Law?
Under Texas law, it is a crime to make a false report. This is intended to deter people from making …
In recent years, technology has made its way into almost every facet of our lives, and the judicial system is no exception. Federal criminal proceedings in the Southern District of Texas, Houston Division, have experienced a significant transformation due to …