Facing driving while intoxicated (DWI) charges in Texas can be a distressing and overwhelming experience. A DWI conviction can result in severe penalties, including fines, license suspension, mandatory ignition interlock devices, and jail time. A first offense driving while intoxicated …
Houston Theft, Robbery & Burglary Defense Lawyer
A conviction for theft, robbery, or burglary can have a devastating effect on your future. Employers routinely conduct background checks of prospective employees, and few want to hire someone with a criminal record for theft.
I’m Robert Fickman, a criminal defense attorney in Houston, Texas. I have over 39 years of experience defending Texans charged with everything from aggravated robbery to shoplifting. When I represent younger clients charged with theft crimes, I always try to involve the families. Many younger people lack the experience and judgment to know what is in their best interests. For this reason, I often seek the client’s permission to have his or her parents sit in on meetings. Most parents want the security of knowing what is going on in their adult child’s case. Parents can often assist in building a defense and providing relevant information.
To develop a strong defense, you must first recognize the realities of our criminal justice system. In my opinion, in reality, the presumption of innocence does not exist. In this country, anyone accused of a serious crime is presumed guilty by the public. You must be prepared to prove your innocence to stand a chance. As your lawyer, my job is to do my best to develop a strong defense to prove your innocence.
My goal as your lawyer in any theft or robbery case is to help you avoid a criminal record. In most cases, that means addressing two key issues:
- Questioning and attacking any eyewitness identification.
- Trying to establish an alibi if the client has one.
Robbery cases are often dependent on eyewitness identification. Eyewitness identification can be successfully attacked. History has shown that innocent people have gone to prison based on false eyewitness identification. If you have credible alibi testimony, the attack on eyewitness identification is even more powerful.
In my decades of experience as a theft crimes defense attorney, I have seen many people who suffer from mental health problems and engage in criminal behavior such as shoplifting. This may be because their condition was misdiagnosed, they were not taking their prescribed medication, or they were medicating themselves with drugs or alcohol. A client’s mental health is often relevant to a client’s conduct and defense. This factor may well impact the outcome of the case.
A SUMMARY OF CRIMINAL DEFENSE ATTORNEY ROBERT FICKMAN’S CREDENTIALS
- Robert Fickman has been a criminal defense attorney in Houston for 40+ Years.
- Robert Fickman has handled and won a vast array of cases in State and Federal Court
- Robert Fickman has argued many cases before the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Robert Fickman has had an AV Rating (the highest rating) with Martindale Hubbell for over 20 years.
- Robert Fickman has been named a “Texas Super Lawyer” since 2015.
- Robert Fickman is well-respected by his peers and he has received numerous awards.
- Robert Fickman was the President of the Harris County Criminal Lawyers Association (HCCLA) from 2006-2007.
- Robert Fickman is a past Board Member of the Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association (TCDLA).
- Robert Fickman serves on the HCCLA and TCDLA Strike Forces where he is called upon to come to the aid of other criminal defense lawyers.
- Robert Fickman is an outstanding public speaker. Robert Fickman was on the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers “Best of 2010 Speakers,” “Best of 2014 “Speakers Disk,” and “Best of 2022 Speakers.”
- Robert Fickman was named “Mr. Declaration of Independence.” in the Texas State Bar Journal for his volunteerism.