In the state of Texas, drug crimes are taken very seriously. Harsh penalties can be anticipated for even the simplest cases of drug possession – and the consequences that can be faced for more serious drug crimes like drug trafficking …
Houston Murder & Homicide Defense Lawyer
I’m Robert Fickman, a criminal defense attorney in Houston, Texas. Over the past [bizstart] years, I have defended many people charged with homicide, ranging from people charged with murder to people charged with manslaughter or negligent homicide.
In 2007 I won a highly publicized case involving a bus driver, State v. Cook. In this case, a school bus driver accidentally hit and killed a young girl when she got in a blind spot. He was charged with murder, manslaughter, and negligent homicide at various times. After a year of fighting, we went to trial on the manslaughter charge and obtained a not-guilty verdict from the jury.
Many of the homicide cases I handle involve clients who have been charged with manslaughter or negligent homicide. The Harris County District Attorney’s office now has a section that specifically investigates deaths caused by vehicular accidents. Too often, the state takes a tragic accident and charges someone with a crime. You may find yourself in this awful situation.
The people who seem most likely to be charged with negligent or vehicular homicide as a result of an accident are commercial drivers, including truck drivers and bus drivers. Everyday drivers are also not safe from such charges.
In my opinion, to develop a strong defense, you must first recognize the realities of our criminal justice system. In my opinion, in reality, the presumption of innocence does not exist. In this country, anyone accused of a serious crime is presumed guilty by the public. You must be prepared to prove your innocence to stand a chance. As your lawyer, my job is to do my best to develop a strong defense to prove your innocence. As your lawyer, my job is to do my best to win your case by proving your innocence.
To develop a successful defense, I may hire experts to reconstruct the accident and fully evaluate how it happened. The state’s evaluation is often one-sided and incorrect. They start with the conclusion that the accused was negligent or reckless and try to make the facts fit that conclusion. As your lawyer, I will do everything in my power to keep you from being convicted of a crime for what was, in reality, an honest accident.
A SUMMARY OF CRIMINAL DEFENSE ATTORNEY ROBERT FICKMAN’S CREDENTIALS
- Robert Fickman has been a criminal defense attorney in Houston for 38 Years.
- Robert Fickman has handled and won a vast array of cases in State and Federal Court.
- Robert Fickman has argued many cases before the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Robert Fickman has had an AV Rating (the highest rating) with Martindale Hubbell for over 20 years.
- Robert Fickman has been named a “Texas Super Lawyer” since 2015.
- Robert Fickman is well-respected by his peers, and he has received numerous awards.
- Robert Fickman was the President of the Harris County Criminal Lawyers Association (HCCLA) from 2006-2007.
- Robert Fickman is a past Board Member of the Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association (TCDLA).
- Robert Fickman serves on the HCCLA and TCDLA Strike Forces, where he is called upon to come to the aid of other criminal defense lawyers.
- Robert Fickman is an outstanding public speaker. Robert Fickman was on the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers “Best of 2010 Speakers” and “Best of 2014 “Speakers Disk.”
- Robert Fickman was named “Mr. Declaration of Independence.” in the Texas State Bar Journal for his volunteerism.