In Texas, as in many other states, state and federal law enforcement have been grappling with the national opioid epidemic. This has led to increased scrutiny and stricter regulations surrounding the prescription and distribution of controlled substances. In recent years, …
Houston DWI Defense Lawyer
This is their first and only brush with the law for most people charged with DWI. In Texas, however, a DWI is a serious charge, even if it’s your first DWI offense. Repeat and felony DWI offenses carry severe penalties, including mandatory jail time, expensive fines, and losing your driver’s license. As your defense lawyer, my goal is to reduce the charges or sentence against you and, if possible, prevent you from having a criminal record for a DWI arrest.
I’m Robert Fickman, a criminal defense attorney in Houston. Over the past 39+ years, I have defended hundreds of people charged with drunk driving. I also defend people charged with alcohol-related crimes, such as intoxication assault and vehicular homicide. If you’ve been arrested for drunk driving, contacting an attorney as soon as possible is important to understand what the courts require and what you need to do to avoid losing your license.
Developing a Strong DWI / DUI Defense
The three key defense issues in a DWI arrest are:
- Whether the police had reasonable suspicion to stop you.
- Whether after stopping you, the police had probable cause to arrest you.
- Whether the state can prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you were driving while intoxicated.
All three issues require a thorough investigation. In preparing my client’s case, I interview witnesses, view any videotape of your arrest, and visit the scene. I have won many DWI cases by being more familiar with the arrest scene than the officer who made the arrest. In one case, the officer testified my client held on to a steel bar to support himself. I could show that the steel bar was only six inches off the ground by visiting and photographing the scene before the trial. The police officer’s testimony was completely discredited, and the client was acquitted.
The Use of Expert Witnesses – Strengthening Your DWI Defense
Sometimes I engage the services of an expert witness who can testify about the Intoxilizer, burn-off rate of alcohol in the body, and alcohol toxicology.
My goal in any criminal case is to out-investigate the other side. Prosecutors handle so many DWI cases they become routine for them. If we put in more effort than the other side, we may be able to keep a DWI conviction off your record.
If you have been charged with DWI, requesting an Administrative License Review (ALR) within 15 days of arrest is important, or your driver’s license will be automatically suspended. During the ALR, I may cross-examine the arresting officer, which may lead to important evidence for your DWI defense.
A SUMMARY OF CRIMINAL DEFENSE ATTORNEY ROBERT FICKMAN’S CREDENTIALS
- Robert Fickman has been a criminal defense attorney in Houston for 40+ Years.
- Robert Fickman has handled and won many cases in State and Federal Court.
- Robert Fickman has argued many cases before the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Robert Fickman has had an AV Rating (the highest rating) with Martindale Hubbell for over 20 years.
- Robert Fickman has been named a “Texas Super Lawyer” since 2015.
- Robert Fickman is well-respected by his peers and has received numerous awards.
- Robert Fickman was the President of the Harris County Criminal Lawyers Association (HCCLA) from 2006-2007.
- Robert Fickman is a past Board Member of the Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association (TCDLA).
- Robert Fickman serves on the HCCLA and TCDLA Strike Forces, where he is called upon to come to the aid of other criminal defense lawyers.
- Robert Fickman is an outstanding public speaker. Robert Fickman was on the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers “Best of 2010 Speakers,” “Best of 2014 “Speakers Disk,” and “Best of 2022 Speakers.”
- Robert Fickman was named “Mr. Declaration of Independence.” in the Texas State Bar Journal for his volunteerism.